Sunday, November 28, 2010

Nov. 28th

Well, that was a longer break from writing than I was planning to take. I actually wasn't even planning to take one day off. I am really trying to dedicate myself to this, which I think makes it hard for me to get back after I miss a day. I tend to want things I do to be perfect, and if I accidentally mess something up I usually just stop caring. I need to quit expecting things to be done right and just keep on trying. Plus, it's just a stupid blog. Who cares if I miss one day? Well, I care, but who besides that? Nobody.

I've had a good week or so. Nothing really to report. The McKims had a baby. That's cool. Thanksgiving was nice. Not great, but nice. I've finished two books. The Case For God by Karen Armstrong was the first. I really enjoyed that one. It was an analytical look at the history of how humanity has interacted with God or godlike entities. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in exploring his/her faith without all the religious or antireligious language and stances that usually riddle these kind of books. It really impacted me. The other book I read was True Grit by Charles Portis. It is a novel that has been adapted into a film by the Coen brothers. I am a big fan of their films, so I wanted to have a nice grasp of what their latest movie would be like. I wasn't impressed with this book. It read just a like a standard Western novel would, which is bad in my view. It was formulaic and violent. It was sort of interesting to have a fourteen year old girl as a narrator and vigilante, but that didn't redeem the book in my opinion. I'll bet after watching the movie version this will be one of the first times I will like an adapted movie better than the book it was based on. There just wasn't much there. Oh well.

This should be a good week. I feel confident about that. See you tomorrow.

No comments: