Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Sheltering Sky


I got A Canticle for Leibowitz and The Sheltering Sky from the library at the same time. I decided to read Leibowitz first because it was recommended from a friend. I found The Sheltering Sky while I was researching the life of William S. Burroughs (Author of Naked Lunch, the book I couldn't finish). I wasn't sure if I was still going to read it, because I thought the author would share too many similarities with William Burroughs, but I was wrong. The story is cohesive and easily understandable. Some things in it are a bit strange, but not disturbing like the visceral scenes in Naked Lunch. I looked back at what I had read about what the two authors had in common and found out that William Burroughs actually just moved to Tangier, Morocco because of Paul Bowles fiction. There was no reference to sharing any similarities in writing style.

With that said, I am glad I read it. It was an interesting book about a husband and wife travelling through North Africa. The couple is attempting t0 rekindle their marriage, but unsure if that is what either of them wants. It is complicated by the husband's inability to focus and the wife's constant strategizing for how to win her husband back.

The first two parts of the novel are set in cities where there are plenty of Westerners that the couple interact with on a regular basis. The third, and final, part of the book is a strange and intense journey into the Sahara Desert made by Kit (the wife). My interpretation of how the book is broken into sections is that each section is a different stage of the main characters' insanity. The first section shows the general social disorders that the husband and wife have, the second shows the couple become more and more unable to function regularly by putting them in crisis situations and showing their inability to logically solve their problems, while the third section of the novel is an exploration of post-traumatic insanity as viewed through Kit's eyes.

Having the book slowly move Southward throughout the downward spiral of madness was an interesting way to show the harshness of the African terrain and society. It is clearly seen in the novel that the further a Westerner gets from their own culture, the more vulnerable they are. By the end of the novel we are in a mostly untouched African culture that takes advantage of Kit's insanity and naivety, giving the perfect setting for the chaos that is happening in her mind. This had to be an intentional effect to help the reader truly feel the intensity of the character's mental state.

The book was very well written. I found his ability to describe both the natural world and his character's emotions and thoughts incredibly impressive. His writing style and language alone make the book worth reading.

All in all, I think the Sheltering Sky is a great book. It didn't give me any epiphanies or open up too much for interpretation or discussion, but it was definitely worth reading for the compelling story and the impressive prose.

No comments: