Saturday, December 26, 2009

Favorite albums of 2009

I thought this would be a good place to preserve my 2009 lists. It feels like this may be out of place, but I don't really care.

This was a really big year for me and new music. It might go down as one of the best years of my life for new releases, hence the rather large honorable mention catagory...

Honorable mentions in no particular order:
New Albums by Prefuse 73, Dead Man's Bones, Fuck Buttons, The Raveonettes, Grizzly Bear, Converge, Mt. Eerie, Andrew Bird, The Dodos, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Sufjan Stevens, Heavy Trash, The Flaming Lips, and Lightning Dust.

Favorites:

15. YACHT - See Mystery Lights
This barely made it to where it is. You could probably switch it out for any of my honorable mention picks, but it is here because I've listened to it a few times more than any of those.

14. Dizzee Rascal - Tongue in Cheek
Dizzee should be in my top five of the year. This album is still good, but it is obviously not the work of someone concerned with perfection. Dizzee is getting distracted by all that money he made with his last three amazing records. (Impressive that he made it into my top 15 with a mediocre effort, though)

13. St. Vincent - Actor
This would be higher if it was a "best of" list. I liked it a lot, and it showed some great talent, it just didn't get as many listens as it deserved.

12. Decemberists - Hazards of Love
I thought this album was the years best when it came out early this year. It had some stiff competition and lacked a little in staying power, but damn it was good live. And the Double Vinyl is certainly still a proud member of our collection.

11. Magnolia Electric Co - Josephine
A sad album honoring the death of Jason Molina's close friend Josephine. I'm a sucker for eulogy records.

10. The Thermals - Now We Can See
I think this album proved to me that even pop-punk, if done tastefully and creatively, can be listenable. My inner 13 year old is satisfied, but won't be complete until ska gets the chance to prove its value to 25 year old Joe.

9. Built to Spill - There is No Enemy
Local dudes delivered their best album in years.

8. Shelley Short - A Cave, A Canoo
This might be here because it was in our car stereo for half the year and I have every song memorized. But even so, it made it to the 8th spot of the list by being able to survive in the stereo for as long as it did.

7. Dan Deacon - Bromst
Reptile Rumble will be spinning this one till its grooves are demolished.

6. Clem Snide - Hungry Bird
"I can't find comfort in the fact that it could be worse." Diana lives by that line.

5. Mewithoutyou - It's All Crazy, It's All False, It's All a Dream, It's Alright!
Mewithoutyou has finally written praise music that doesn't sound trite, cliche, or forced. This is a fully Christian album that stands up on it's own feet. You don't have to say "this record is good, for a Christian band," it is just good on its own. Who knew that was possible?

4. Yo La Tengo - Popular Songs
I love Yo La Tengo. They make me happy. They could put me in a guitar fuzz daze any day of the week.

3. Megafaun - Gather, Form & Fly
This album makes it this high on my list because of how addicting it is. The songs are incredibly memorable and their ability to do something new with the Americana/Folk genre makes me excited for their future output. I listened to this album hundreds of times this summer.

2. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
These dudes are probably in my top three artists of all time list. I just think what they are doing in electronic music will never be matched by anyone else. All I need to say to describe their album is that I believe they are my generation's version of the Beatles. (The Beatles in the sense of songwriting and creativity, obviously not in the sense of affecting pop culture.)

1. David Bazan - Curse Your Branches
David Bazan's most honest and abrasive album yet. I wrote a blog after the first few listens of this album that sums up my thoughts. This album will make you laugh, cry, and feel dead inside. It is incredibly moving, and has probably changed my life.

No comments: