Sunday, March 8, 2009

Lutherans. Who knew?


Diana and I went to a Lutheran Church today (Trinity Lutheran Church). It was the second time we had been to a Lutheran Sunday service and was a good experience for me. I have always appreciated the ritual involved in liturgy focused protestant churches. It, to me, emphasizes historical unity with the church as well as unity with the current global church. I enjoy the communal lessons and the congregational participation. I was emotionally moved by their emphasis on being gracious and generous, it was nice to visit a church that was very outwardly focused instead of the often inward focused message I have experienced at most evangelical churches. It is hard because, being raised in a Nazarene environment, I feel uncomfortable with the stiffness of the service, and yet I do very much love it and see why it is done. I feel like once I am used to the process of the Sunday service, I would be able to get very much out of it, and feel a deeper satisfaction than I have felt from past church experiences.

No comments: