Monday, February 23, 2009

Angle of Repose Pt. 1

I am currently through a little over half of this large novel. It will probably be the longest novel I have ever read at only 569 pages. I suppose I have read a few books that are in the 400 page realm, but finishing this will truly feel like an accomplishment. The novel is a historical story of an engineer and his genteel wife living in the western United States in the late 1800's. This is the second novel I have read this month with a hefty amount about romantic relationships. Also the second novel with a female heroin, coincidence? I am not sure. I didn't know that either book would be either romantic or have a female main character, so it must be coincidence. I don't have too much to say about the book at this moment. I just wanted to write a little bit because it has been so long since I have finished a book and written a reflection on it.

It has been a strange read for me, because it has been at times both addicting and hard to get into. I am not sure why that is, but something about Stegner's prose makes me love reading as well as eagerly await completion so I don't have to read any longer. I think it might just be a case of wild mood swings or something, but usually I can either read a book nonstop forever or barely get through one. This one I can either barely get through or read nonstop. I am just as confused about it as this paragraph is confusing.

Anyhow, full analysis of Angle of Repose coming soon....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this feeling.